Monday, September 01, 2008

September

I've always viewed September as the start of the new year. It's because I've either been a student or a teacher my whole life, and the academic world begins anew each September. January 1st always feels like it is interupting me in the middle of something, a break from my world. September 1 is the fresh start.

Recently I've been reading a few blogs where people commit to doing something every day for a year. Composing a new piece every day for 365 straight days (yes, someone actually did this and blogged about it). Cooking a new recipe every day for a year. There's a whole bunch of stuff like this out there. I've often thought about doing something like this. But is it worth the committment? And would I get bored? So I thought I might try a variation on this concept. Pick a daily challenge for each month for a year. 12 different daily challenges that I only have to follow through for a month at a time. Here are some ideas:

1) Compose a piece of music every day for a month (the obvious one)
2) Work on a specific aspect of my saxophone playing every day for a month (even as a professional, it is difficult to find time to play EVERY day)
3) Write a blog entry everyday for a month (I'd need to find a month where I'd have access to a computer and internet every day - no unusual traveling allowed!)
4) Write a poem every day
5) Take on and finish a different PMAC marketing project every day (an area I could use some work on)
6) Run at least a mile every day (wouldn't attempt this one between December and April!)
7) Write 3 pages of a new book every day (I'd end up with 90 page in a month)

That's only seven. I'd need to come up with twelve. Any ideas?

And I'd need to start September today. I'll need to think hard and quick, so I can get started without compromise. More later...
7)

No comments: