Wednesday, September 17, 2008

First Final Day

I think of this camp as having two "final" days, and today is the first. I only get to meet with my classes for three days - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (today). Tonight, my students will perform the music they worked on with me. The band 1 & 2 saxes are combined and will play a couple of pieces, and the Band 3 saxes will play a couple as well. And, hopefully, we might take our monster piece with everyone and find a time to play it for an audience. It's going to be a long, but rewarding day.

Tomorrow will be the second and actual "final" day of the camp. At 9 a.m., all of the camp's large ensembles will perform for each other. I've been rehearsing with Band 1 and will sit in with them. They have done a wonderful job - most of the players have played their instruments for less than a year and I think all logged less than two years playing time!

I highly recommend this camp for any adult who plays a band or orchestral instrument. It is primarily populated by New Horizons Band members from throughout the country and Canada, most of whom are over 55 and retired. But I don't think membership in a band is a requirement. (Though if there is a New Horizons Band near you, that is definitely the place to start.) It is an amazing opportunity to make music with others. And I can tell you that the most advanced band is playing wonderfully challenging repertoire - nothing to sneeze at if you have quite a bit of playing experience. One of their pieces I last performed in my college wind ensemble at The Boston Conservatory. So even if you're quite advanced and have played for years, there is something here for you. And if you've only played a few months - come join us in the "green" band. You'll have the time of your life.

No comments: