Tuesday, September 16, 2008

More fun than you can shake a stick at

OK. This has been an EXHAUSTING three days. Two to go. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

My saxophone ensembles are wonderful. We are having a blast getting together and playing in the mornings. I'm combining all of my students from all three bands into a monster sax ensemble tomorrow. It's going to be a blast.

The band 1 students are an inspiration. They remind me why I need to start another beginner group as soon as I get back to Portsmouth. I need to do it this winter! If you want to join, let me know!

Tonight we combined bands 1 & 2 for rehearsal and the band 1 students got to play two of of the band 2 pieces. Then band 1 played for Band 2. The Band 2 members who were sitting next to Band 1 members read along and augmented the group. It was a great time and we will do this in Thursday's concert.

Tonight I played an hour of jazz with the faculty and some students in the dining hall. Some great tunes: Ain't Misbehavin', Blue Monk, Stella By Starlight, Night Train, The Lady is a Tramp, and more. The students all gather in the dining room for this performance and they are a fantastic audience.

Then I finished my evening with a walk back to the inn, where I sit writing this. I listened to some of the new Amanda Palmer CD on my MP3 player on the way back as I walked in the dark. Thanks again to Amanda's crew for making it available for download last week. The CD was released today and I'd be seriously bummed if I didn't already have my copy here.

Again exhausted. I PROMISE to take some photos and post them. I'll probably be writing about this for weeks, when I finally have some time and energy. For now, they keep me running here. And don't even ask me about having to carry the baritone sax around in its "lead" case today.

Good night!

No comments: