Monday, September 29, 2008

More on scales in thirds

To add to the previous post, once you've mastered the G major scale in thirds (for saxophonists - I recommend different scale starting points depending on the instrument) you can try the same process on other scales. C major naturally comes next (pun intended), and then I recommend F major. Then D major and B-flat major. With the exception of G major, these scales can be played up and down two full octaves. (G major can too, once you learn your altissimo range - but I'll save that topic for another day.)

Once you've mastered these first five major scales, I recommend moving on to minor scales, using the melodic minor at first. Many good saxophone instruction books introduce the major and minor scales, so I won't go into detail here about the various scale degrees - I'll just say that playing scales, including playing them in thirds, is a wonderful way to improve your playing ability.

Putting these ideas on the blog make me think that I should take the time to write a method book. I've been teaching saxophone now for over 20 years and its time I share some of what I've learned with others. The trick will be finding the time to write it! We'll see...

No comments: