Saturday, September 06, 2008

Amanda Palmer - Credit where credit is due

A bit more on this morning's post regarding Amanda Palmer and music marketing. After posting it I received a kind e-mail from the wonderful Emily W., who has worked with Amanda and the Dresden Dolls for some time. And after going back and re-reading my post, I want to clarify:

Amanda is, as I said, a fabulous business woman. But she doesn't do it all alone. I've learned through the past several years of running PMAC that truly great work is near impossible to do on one's own, and definitely impossible for a single person to accomplish on a grand scale. Amanda has a talented team working with her. I know this because nearly two years ago, when we invited Brian Viglione to come to the school and give a clinic, Emily was critical in making that happen. To this day it was one of our best guest artist clinics. Also, when Katie and I went to see Amanda with the Boston Pops (see my blog post on this here), her lovely assistant Beth was kind and truly sincere in her interest in getting Amanda up to Portsmouth for a guest artist clinic. We've yet to have her here because of her hectic schedule, but we still hope she'll visit the students one day soon.

I write all of this not because it was pointed out to me that Amanda has such a team, but because when Emily e-mailed I was reminded of the truism that behind every great person, there is an amazing support system of equally great people - and those are the people who make the world go around. Bravo.

No comments: