Monday, September 15, 2008

Wind Storm, and music

Huge wind storm last night. Shook the house. In fact, at one point the entire building moved, swaying back and forth violently. There were sirens going off, so I imagined the tornado had reached me. I was ready to hop in the tub as I duck and cover, but then things calmed down. This morning I learned that a 75 foot tall tree was blown over onto the Inn. Luckily (for me) it was on the opposite side of the buidling, so I did not need to be relocated to another room. Others were less fortunate. But, the tree was cut down today, and it seems the damage to the building was minimal. Photos to follow, but I'm too exhausted to upload them today.

My day began early. My fist class was at 9 a.m. - the Band 2 sax ensemble. Then the band 3 sax ensemble, Band 1 sectionals, Band 1 woodwind ensemble and lastly Band 1 rehearsal. Fit into all of that was lunch and dinner. No significant breaks, so I remained on campus for most of the day.

The bands range in ability from 1 (beginner) to 3 (advanced). All of the musicians are wonderful. They've welcomed me with open arms and we had a brilliant first day of small ensembles.

I do the same for the next two days. I'm hoping to have the sax ensembles combine to perform as a MONSTER SAX GROUP. Will be working on coordinating this all day tomorrow.

Tonight I sat in with some of the faculty, playing some jazz for the "students" in the caffeteria. Had much fun. Looking forward to another great day tomorrow.

I have so much to say about this experience. Too bad I can't keep my eyes open right now...off to bed!

No comments: