Friday, September 12, 2008

Never Let Me Down

David Bowie's 1987 album, Never Let Me Down, was not a hit. Sure, a few tunes got a little radio airplay. Radio was already a dying medium. But I bought the CD the day it came out. I listened to it, learned the lyrics. It's not my favorite Bowie. But it is part of the whole that has become very important to me. Bowie was the artist that shaped my view of music as a teen. I am very forgiving when it comes to his music. So it makes me a poor candidate to review his music. To tell people what I think. There is no detachment, no objectivity. That lack of other objectivity holds true for other artists, other music. That is why I avoid "reviewing" CDs on this blog. I considered writing a review this week, but I won't. I may convey some experiences about the music, suggest that you run out and buy it, be a fan. But I won't be a reviewer. That wouldn't be right. Because some artists just never let me down.

No comments: