Thursday, April 26, 2007

My Lunch with Mitt Romney

Today I had lunch with Presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Of course there were 200 other guests at the lunch, but I had the privilege of sitting next to Mr. Romney. Did you know that he studied piano for six years as a child? Sang in his school glee club? Performed in school musicals? - The one he reminisced about in particular was Bye Bye Birdie.

This was a Rotary luncheon, and he spoke and answered questions about his politics. But in those few minutes before he got up to speak (I also introduced him to the audience - not because I'm a supporter, but because I chair the Rotary program committee) I asked him questions that I often ask Rotary guest speakers. "Do you play a musical instrument?" "Were the arts important to your family?" "What other creative activities do you pursue?" And what I discover time and time again is that people who are sucessful - regardless of their career or area of expertise - have studied arts at some point in their life. Whether a musical instrument, or acting in school plays, painting or dancing, there is some creative aspect to their education and life. And I heard Mr. Romney say what I often hear from adults throughout the community - that he loved playing when he was a kid and wished there was time to still play. So I told him the New Horizons Band story and that it is NEVER too late. That when he is ready, the piano will be waiting for him.

So without saying anything about his politics, I'll just finish by saying he is a very nice man. Very personable, and actually, not larger than life, like you so often get with public personalities. He had no difficulty reminiscing about his mother's involvement in the theater and their family's love for the arts. He stopped campaigning when I asked that question and answered it honestly. Though it wasn't a tough question - nothing to dodge.

So I'm again grateful to live in a part of the world where we all can participate in the process, and in a part of the U.S. where the process comes right to our doorstep. Only ten months until the primaries. I wonder who will visit next?

No comments: