Sunday, January 18, 2015

PMAC Special Student Interview: Dennis Souto of the New Horizons Band

Dennis Suoto (left) plays Saxophone with fellow band members.

On Friday, January 16th, I had the pleasure of speaking with Dennis Souto about what he loves about making music. He was one of the original members of the New Horizons Band at PMAC in 2003 and continues to make music today, 11 - almost 12 years later. Dennis, who was new to his instrument when he started, has played saxophone in multiple bands at PMAC.

PMAC: What is your favorite part about being in the New Horizons band?

Dennis Souto: New Horizons Band gives me to opportunity to play music with other people, since I never played music growing up.

The two things that I really enjoy about being the the New Horizons band are playing in a group - and my wife and I have been here since 1979. When we started at PMAC we met a bunch of new people. I love the friendship  and camaraderie of PMAC - it's almost more fun than learning how to play!

PMAC: What is your favorite part about helping out in the New Horizons Beginner Band?

DS: The stuff that they're struggling with, I remember struggling with it myself. I feel for them and where they're at and I get a big kick when they finally break through what they've been struggling with. Two of the guys who are in it started in their 70's but I started in my 50's - it's interesting to see the different adversities that come with learning an instrument at different ages - and I feel indebted to helping them learn.

PMAC: What made you start playing music in your 50's?

DS: I always wanted to play, I always loved music and I always loved the saxophone but I never saw a way I was going to be able to do it. One day my wife showed me a PMAC brochure and I knew this was my way. I was still very nervous when I made my first note on our first day. You know it's interesting, I remember Russ saying that you can join a chorus and there are plenty of choirs, but there was no where to play as an adult but now you can do that here!



Thanks for speaking with us Dennis! If you're interested in the many ensembles PMAC has for adults - at any level - check out all we offer here!

No comments: