Wednesday, January 14, 2015

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: Virginia Macdonald


PMAC: What is your teaching philosophy?

Virginia Macdonald:  I believe that people learn best when they enjoy what they are doing, so I try to make lessons fun with some variety.  I will use hand percussion to reinforce new rhythms we are learning, and games to teach and practice things like naming notes and key signatures.  It is so disappointing to meet adults who were turned off to music because they had a negative experience as a child.  I love people, and I love music, so if someone comes in to a lesson and hasn't practiced we will work on practice techniques. If they've forgotten their book we will work on sight-reading techniques.  There is always a lesson that presents itself depending on the day and the student.  I want people to leave feeling good about themselves as musicians.

PMAC: What is kindermusik? What inspired you to get involved with it?

VM: Kindermusik is, in my humble opinion, the best early childhood music program on the market.  It has been developed by experts in early childhood development, musicians, and educators to promote learning not only the basic building blocks of music in a natural and fun way, but to enhance development of motor skills, social skills, and language development. There are different curricula for each stage of a child's life - baby, toddler, preschooler and young child.  I became a licensed Kindermusik educator after the birth of my first child. I realized that despite being a musician and teacher, I only knew one lullaby.  When I called the 800 number to find a local Kindermusik teacher I was told there were none in the rural area of NH I was living in, so I decided to take the training.  It was at the training that I met a music therapist for the first time which planted the seed for my returning to school to pursue my masters in the Music Therapy field.

PMAC: What are some of the benefits of making music early in a child's life? 

VM: Music is such a natural part of being human.  As a society we have gotten away from music making as part of family life, with most people getting their music in a very passive way where it has almost become just background noise.  Studies repeatedly show that active engagement with music stimulates many different areas of the brain, lighting it up like fireworks.  Making music early in a child's life helps develop healthy engagement with others, as well as listening skills

PMAC: When did you begin playing an instrument? How did that shape your life?

VM: My first memory of feeling like a 'musician' was in kindergarten during field day.  While grades 1-5 had races and such, I remember my class choosing instruments from a basket and marching around the field playing.  I began formal piano lessons when I was 7, then clarinet when it was offered at the end of 5th grade. Music was my most dependable and constant companion during the awkward teen years.  My parents were my biggest fan club and were always encouraging me to further my musical development. 

PMAC: If you were a visual artist, what would your medium be?

VM: Ooh, that is a tough one.  I find I have little patience with myself and the visual arts.  I like splatter painting.  That's it, I'd be a splatter painter. 

No comments: