Sunday, January 18, 2015

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: Cara Langevin


PMAC: As PMAC's Art Therapist, can you tell us how an art Therapy session differs from a private drawing lesson? Can you tell us the similarities?

Cara Langevin: There are several different ways to approach the art therapy modality: art in therapy and art as therapy. I think that both are valid and equally healing. At PMAC I use the art as therapy model, because it suits the environment and culture of the school. 

Artmaking in any form is healing, so in that way art therapy and drawing lessons are very similar. Also similar is the way both AT and art lessons help teach clients how to process, plan, edit, execute, and evaluate. Giving people tools to help frame and work through problems via creating something is extremely powerful. 

Art lessons and AT differ in several ways also. AT is treated as therapy and is provided by an art therapist. I'm trained in art therapy and clinical mental health counseling and also work as a therapist in private practice. At PMAC, clients fill out clinical intakes, read clients' rights and responsibilities, and sign consent forms prior to session 1. We work together to create a treatment plan with goals and objectives, and I write progress updates as necessary for parents of younger clients. All information is kept confidential. As we work together and form a relationship, I help create directives for clients that blend AT and therapeutic techniques specific to their situation.

PMAC: What drove you to become an Art Therapist?

CL: I knew I wanted to become a therapist, and I've always been an artist. As an undergrad I majored in Social work and minored in Studio Art. I found a grad program in Boston that combined my two passions. Art Therapy is the love-child of Psychology and Art. 

PMAC: Where do you draw inspiration to make art?

CL: People. I love faces and portraiture work of any kind. I like contrast and tension in paintings coupled with linework. Pop/urban/contemporary art with strong female figures is a huge source of inspiration for me. Sometimes my clients make their way into my work unintentionally (sometimes intentionally), and sometimes I'm inspired by the season or my mood. 

PMAC: What artists are most influential in your own art/life?

CL: Audrey Kawasaki, Kelly McKernan, Amy Sol, Tran Nguyen. I highly recommend googling them. It's Thanksgiving for your eyes.

PMAC: If you were a musician, what instrument would you play?

CL: The squeeze box mostly because it sounds beautiful, but also because I'd want to say squeeze box all the time. 



Thanks Cara! Check out our Music and Art Therapy Page here.

No comments: