Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A night out on the town

Katie and I caught two great bands in Portsmouth last night at two of the city's most vibrant (and different) venues - The Press Room and The Red Door.

There is one question I find myself being asked an awful lot these days. It comes in many forms but basically boils down to the same thing: "Does Portsmouth have a healthy live music scene?" My experience is that the answer to this question has to do with who you are. Musicians, almost without exception, are concerned that the number of live performance venues is down, that the downtown neighborhood, with recent increases in residential units (condos), has become more and more unfriendly to the local music scene, and that it is harder for local bands to get booked in the remaining venues, particularly the larger venues. Non-musicians speak fondly of the thriving music scene, that no matter what night, there is somewhere to go, with something good to hear.

Though the Portsmouth music scene is not without its problems, I think the non-musicians may have a better perspective on the whole. We sometimes forget that this is a small community, only 20,000 strong. It may be unrealistic to expect the cultural climate of much larger cities. In fact, I would bet that Portsmouth outdoes most American communities twice its size in the area of live music. Does that qualify the climate as healthy? Maybe not. But it lessens the impact of doom and gloom statements about the scene.

I'm going to spend some more time thinking about this and maybe write more on it in the future. I hate to jump to conclusions on it. And I want to have a good answer the next time I'm asked (most recently it was by a reporter from Foster's newspaper at the RPM Challenge listening party).

In the meantime, I continue to make every effort to get out and hear local music. Last night was a great opportunity as two bands I'm very familiar with were performing. First, Katie and I went to The Press Room to hear Jose Duque's Zumbatres with Jose leading the way on the drums, Nate Therrien on bass and Mike Effenberger filling in on keys. About halfway through the second set they were joined by saxophonist Matt Langley. Needless to say, I know these musicians well - all four teach at PMAC. But it was the first time I'd had the opportunity to hear them play in this combination. The house was full, attentitive and very appreciative, with applause recognizing every solo. And the set I was there for was very strong (as I assume the whole evening was). I consider it a great thing that The Press Room still holds true to it's seven-day-a-week live music promise. If you've not heard Zumbatres, check them out. They are a mainstay of the local jazz scene.

We did leave a little early though, to catch an up and coming group on the local scene. The Molenes were nominated in the Roots Rock category at last week's Spotlight Awards, and though it went to veterans Pondering Judd, The Molenes were just as deserving. Lead singer Dave Hunter looks the part - he could give Chris Issak a run for his money. The group is tight, and had the friendly demeanor of a house band in the intimate confines of The Red Door, which was as packed as The Press Room - a vitality sign. Live music is alive and well in Portsmouth. It was late for Katie and I, though the band was just getting going, so we only stayed for a few tunes, said our hellos to friends, and quickly retired home. But I have a renewed interest in getting out, particularly on Mondays, when these two venues regularly feature local live acts. So if you question the scene - when was the last time you were at either venue on a Monday? If you haven't been, either ever or lately, it's time to check it out.

No comments: