Friday, October 07, 2005

Kronos is coming

The Kronos String Quartet is on their way to Portsmouth this winter and it is a concert not to miss.

I first saw Kronos live at Harvard University in 1989 or 90, at the annual Fromm Foundation concert. I still remember the program vividly (which is rarely the case fifteen years following a concert). It included a world premeire by Steve Mackey, John Zorn's Cat O' Nine Tails and Steve Reich's masterpiece Different Trains. I have not had the opportunity to hear the group live again since then, and now that they are on tap for the Music Hall's 2005-06 season, I can't wait to see/hear them again.

One of the most innovative ensembles in America, Kronos is a champion of new music, and is one of those rare gems that bridges the worlds of "pop" and "classical" without losing their integrity. Famous for their rendition of Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze which they once used regularly as their encore (I don't know that they still do), I also heard them play Hendrix's Foxy Lady at that concert 15 years ago - an arrangement by Mackey, who had his work premiered that night.

Kronos is a group who brings wonderful energy to the stage, takes the leap that many are afraid to take. Their recordings are vast and eclectic. From playing tangos with Astor Piazzolla, to George Crumb's apocalyptic Black Angels to the minimalist works of Reich, Terry Riley, and lesser known Kevin Volans.

While it was great to see Turtle Island here this past spring, Kronos brings a whole new level of gravitas to the stage. I will be putting together a group to go see this concert. Let me know if you want to come along for the ride - I'll arrange the tickets at a group rate. They'll be here Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 7:30 p.m. at the Music Hall.

No comments: