Sunday, October 02, 2005

Autumn is here

That special time of year in New England has arrived. Use it as motivation.

I am particularly fond of the fall. It is the time of year when I find myself most productive, and in many ways content. There are a few major factors I attribute this to:

1) I live in New England, where fall is a beautiful season of changing colors. We harvest apples, go on nature hikes and feel invigorated by the cooler weather. I've always found being active in the cooler autumn is much more plesant than during the sticky, hot summer.

2) The academic year begins in September, hitting full stride around October 1st. After a summer break, I am ready to set new goals and find this to be an extremely productive time of year.

3) As strange as it may seem to many musicians, I enjoyed my marching experience in my youth. (many older musicians look down on this sort of activity, unfortunately) I was a band kid and fall was always marching season. The memories of friendships built around this activity make fall a positive time of reminiscence.

Now that fall is here, I find myself setting new goals for the 05-06 school year. I hope you will do the same. It is a great time to recommit to lofty aspirations, especially creative endeavors. Get that musical instrument back out of its case and make some music. Pull out those watercolors and paint an autumn landscape. Sit down with your pencil, pen, typewriter or PC and finish that novel, write that poem, or chronicle your life. It is in these passions of creativity that we find satisfaction in life. Take the changing of season as an opportunity to reunite with your creative side. I'll be right there with you.

No comments: