Thursday, October 30, 2008

Faculty Guest - Cathy Meyer

Cathy Meyer teaches art classes for children at PMAC, focusing in early childhood education. I have seen the movie she mentions, and agree that it is quite thought-provoking. Here are Cathy's answer's to October's questions:

Who was my most inspiring teacher?
One of my professors, Philia Yi. She introduced me to printmaking and to silkscreening as fine art, which I just fell in love with. She also helped me explore abstract art and dynamic movement within a piece, which I strive for still in my own work. She was incredibly enthusiastic, open minded and she pushed me hard in a very subtle and motivating way.

What is the most recent art exhibit you attended?
Early this fall I visited the Ogunquit Museum of American Art. I had never been there before. What an amazing location!! I was really taken with Robert Eric Moore's watercolors. They all have this incredible sense of movement within them, which always intrigues me. They dealt with the land and the water and some depicted animals or birds (in my mind he could have left out the critters and still had beautiful works of art), but I love the way he also scratched the paper to achieve some super detail and texture. I don't know if they are still there now, but if they are, check his work out.

What is my favorite movie about an artist?
Well, I guess I am going to change this question if that's ok, as a documentary that my husband and I saw recently jumped into my mind and stuck there when I read this question. So it's not my favorite movie per se, but a fascinating one that really brings up some great questions for debate about art - watch it with friends who like to debate all the angles! It is called "My Kid Could Paint That" about a four year old artist, Marla, who ends up showing her abstract works in galleries.

Where is the most unusual space you have exhibited your art?
I once exhibited at a yoga studio. Great people, nice space too! There are so many opportunities for artists to get their work out there these days.

No comments: