Sunday, May 25, 2008

Creativity

I believe all people are creative. But beyond that, I believe that we all have a common need to express our creativity. I'm not talking about music, not art. Just the act of "creation" or "self-discovery". Part of living a healthy, fulfilled life is finding ways to express our individuality. We can do this in many ways - through our chosen trade, which is hopefully our passion. Through our relationships. Or through art. What is important, is that we be creative, we live creative lives.

Sometimes, our creativity seems to dry up. We get in a rut. We run out of ideas, loose our passion. I don't claim to have answers on how to return that passion, that creativity to our lives. But my experience is that when this happens, one of the best ways to regain our creative selves is to seek out "creation" opportunities that are not our norm. As a musician, when I'm feeling burned out, tired, unispired, I will revitalize myself through active involvement in another creative activity. Writing, drawing, painting - whatever. This seems to jumpstart my musicality by giving me a fresh way to express myself. A new perspective for seeing the world.

What is your alternative outlet? Where do you go to recharge, reinvigorate, renew?

No comments: