Sunday, December 09, 2007

Remembering Andrew Imbrie

In 1994 and again in 1996-97 I studied composition at the University of Chicago with Andrew Imbrie. He was a visiting professor my first semester at the university and he returned again a year later. I jumped at the chance to work with him both times, and studied with him during his entire tenure at Chicago. He was a friendly, kind man who took immediate interest in my music. In fact, he was one of the few teachers I think I ever had who truly believed in my music - from top to bottom.

We became friends and our relationship moved out of the studio and into the real world. Katie and I would go to dinner with Andrew and his wonderful wife Barbara and discuss life as a musician and composer. I remember him coming to our apartment on South Ellis Ave. to visit, with gifts, when Max was born. I can still see the joy on his face when he cradled week-old Max in his arms. He was in his mid-seventies at the time, tall and bone-thin. Simultaneously imposing and frail.

I remember stories of his children, including one son who tragically died at age 18 in a car accident. He remembered that son with a piano sonata titled "Short Story." His music is a wonderful mix of refined craft and deep sentiment.

Andrew chose a path of teaching for his life - not just to pay the bills. He was a teacher through and through. Many of today's top composers worked with him, and his contributions to the world of music education and composition are important and far reaching.

I am proud to have been one of Andrews students, and even prouder to have been a friend. I will miss him dearly.

For more on Andrew and his life, click below.

No comments: