Sunday, May 03, 2015

PMAC Spotlight: Music Therapy Intern Sarah Young!




Sarah Young has been shadowing Ginna Macdonald's Music Therapy Classes for the past year. A graduate of Plymouth State University, Sarah received her BA in Music, focusing in Violin Performance and Pedagogy. She began teaching private and group lessons at the Bedford Youth Performing Company along with being the Music Teacher for their pre-school. 

A personal experience lead Sarah to the helping world of Music Therapy. Experiencing the joy it brought to her, she wanted to be able to enrich and better the lives of others! Sarah is currently enrolled at Lesley University pursuing a master's degree in Music Therapy.


Portsmouth Music and Arts Center: What got you started in music? 

Sarah Young: I initially became interested in playing the violin when a woman came to our school and did a demonstration for us.  The violin that she played was blue, and I thought that was amazing! I signed up after watching her play, and I have not stopped playing since then.


PMAC: What drives you to become a Music Therapist?

SY: Through my own personal experience, I have witnessed how healing music can be. Following a horrible car accident a couple of years ago, I began to seek alternative forms of therapy, rather than exclusively talk therapy. I discovered how healing music could be, and I was able to pull myself through the pain I was experiencing. I believe so strongly in music therapy because I know how overwhelming and scary life can be. Through my own personal experience, and what I am learning through school, I am driven to help others improve their quality of life.


PMAC: How has it been working alongside Ginna this past year?

SY: It has been such an honor and a privilege to work with Ginna this year.  She is kind, caring, compassionate, and has a wonderful sense of humor—all traits that I believe are so important for a music therapist to have. Ginna is a fountain of information, and is always so generous when sharing with me.  Because of Ginna’s encouragement, I leave this internship feeling much more confident with my music skills.  I have enjoyed being a part of her music therapy sessions—she truly is an amazing music therapist.


PMAC: How has working hands on changed your perspective of Music Therapy?

SY: Experiential work is how I best learn something.  It is one thing to read about how music therapy affects others, but it is quite different to experience it firsthand and see the results.  I have had the pleasure of working with several populations this year, and through the hands on work, I have realized what populations I want to work with after I graduate. 


PMAC: You teach violin at another school – how has Music Therapy impacted how you teach regular lessons?

SY: Music therapy has impacted how I interact with everyone.  I feel as though I am much more present than I ever have been, and I am getting better at staying in the moment.  I feel as though I am much more observant of what is happening in a lesson—it is easier for me to go with the flow. 


PMAC: What will you and Ginna be talking about in the Music in Caregiving Workshop you are both presenting on May 15th? Who is the Music in Caregiving Workshop for, can anyone attend and why should they come out?

SY: Anyone may attend the music in caregiving workshop. Ginna and I will be focusing on how caregivers can use music to help others, and how to use music to take care of self (self-care). We will be demonstrating how important and easy it is to incorporate music into everyday life— with the individual one might be caring for, and self. We will also be performing some hands on demonstrations during the workshop that can be easily used at home.  Most importantly, we will have fun!



Thanks so much Sarah! It's been a pleasure to have you here at PMAC this past year, and we wish you all the best on your route to becoming a Music Therapist!


DON'T MISS OUT! Check out the FREE Music In Caregiving Workshop on May 15th from 6:30 - 7:30pm in PMAC's Haas Family Gallery. Free & Open to the public!

No comments: