Friday, October 17, 2014

Faculty Spotlight: Amanda Waite


Amanda Waite brings a wonderful new twist to PMAC: Science. Math. Engineering. She does it all. Our house mathematician, Amanda adds the science element into our S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) Program. She helps her students look at art in a new and exciting way, encouraging them to find the art and creativity in subjects where they may not have found them before. A math teacher at Portsmouth High School, Amanda believes that math is in everything we do - and makes sure her students have a hands on approach to how creativity and science can relate to one another.

PMAC: What is your teaching philosophy?

Amanda: I believe that learning should be integrated and relevant to my students lives. Learning should be hands on and fun. I believe that math is in all parts of life and it can be learned and demonstrated in many different ways and in many different disciplines. All students can learn math and find a way to connect to it.  I want my students to learn and then create and apply their learning. 

PMAC: How do science and art correlate? Why is it important to bring them together?

Amanda: Our world is surrounded by mathematical concepts. I believe that math is a universal language that can be communicated and studies through other disciplines such as art, architecture, and science. Science, technology, engineering, art, and math are already intertwined; it is my job to make my students aware of and learn through these connections. Civil engineers and architects use art and design as well as structural and strength properties in their planning of bridges and buildings. Scientists study the beauty of nature and can explain that beauty with mathematical concepts. Homeowners use art and design in choosing flooring for their homes while they use math to calculate the amount and cost of their choices.

PMAC: What is your favorite medium?

Amanda: Numbers

PMAC: Is your family Artistic? How did that shape you?

Amanda: My dad is an engineer and I grew up watching him be creative and design and build. I am similar--a mathematician with a creative sense.

PMAC: If you were a musician what would your instrument be?

Amanda: I am learning to play guitar.

No comments: