Wednesday, April 07, 2010

practicing and breathing

In order to have productive practice sessions, you really need to be there, in the moment. Find ways to shed the stresses of life, to remove preoccupations when you begin your practice routine each day. In my casual reading about Zen practices (I am no expert), breathing plays a significant role in attaining focus on the now. Being a saxophonist, I have the advantage of my breathes being an integral part of my music making. But in reality, breathing plays a role in the making of all music, for music is a living and breathing art form. If you play violin or piano or guitar - or any "non-wind instrument" - you must pay extra attention to the way you breathe as you play. Breathe with your musical phrases.

I begin most practice session with long tones. They allow for deep breathing and have a calming effect. They also focus me for the work ahead. How does breathing factor into your practice?

No comments: