Friday, January 01, 2010

Resolutions for the New Year

I start off each year with a list of resolutions, a reminder to myself of how I would live my life in an ideal world. Just the act of writing them down often instigates action. I just read my list from last year and I like it. Read it here. This year I'm going in a different direction, with some specific actions. Though I'll still try to live up to the lofty ideals of last year's list. For 2010 I resolve to:
  • Read - Katie gave me a Kindle for Christmas. Add that to the vast quantities of books on my shelves that I've wanted to read for some time, I've come to the decision that I need to read more. This should be an easy resolution to follow through on, since I really do enjoy books. Right now I'm reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, as well as Robin Kelley's new biography of jazzman Thelonious Monk. I think that's a good start.
  • Perform - In 2010 I'll be performing quite a bit more than I have in recent years. PMAC has absorbed all aspects of my life for nearly a decade. I think I've come to a point now where I can resume my life as a performing musician and balance it with my PMAC responsibilities. So I hope to see you at a gig soon!
  • Compose - I plan on writing more music this year. Ditto to what I said about performing.
  • Play - This is the year my disc golf game will come of age. My breakthrough year. Count on it.
  • Ride - My bicycle, that is. As often as I can, which is not as much as I'd like in this "challenging" climate.
  • Listen - I love music. Can't state that enough. Will continue to listen as much as I can - live, recorded, whatever.
  • Live - Enough said.

Happy New Year!

No comments: