Saturday, January 03, 2009

Current Listening

Shamelessly Sassy recently twittered a request for new music, asking what people are listening to. I gave a brief twitter response, but have thought more about it since then. Here are some CDs I spent a lot of time listening to in 2008. They are not all new recordings, just recordings I've spent a lot of time with this past year. I highly recommend all of them (listed in no particular order):

Who Killed Amanda Palmer? - Amanda Palmer
Let Freedom Ring - Jackie McLean
Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
No, Virginia - The Dresden Dolls
Widow City - The Fiery Furnaces
In Rainbows - Radiohead
The Way To Normal - Ben Folds
Soviet Kitsch - Regina Spektor
Rise Above - The Dirty Projectors
Viva la Vida - Coldplay
Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords
The Odd Couple - Gnarls Barkley
The White Album - The Beatles

I'm eager for new listening - any recommendations?

3 comments:

osmotw said...

I've been tending lately to home grown music lately. Older NRBQ, the SCOTS(Southern Comfort on the Skids) and anything streaming from bootliquor.com. They play a great selection of OLD country and new artists that's best described as "red neck" music :)

Living Composer of the Month said...

There is definitely a dearth of "red neck" music in my collection...

osmotw said...

Some songs you can sing to:

Liquored up and Lacquered Down - SCOTS
RC Cola and a Moon Pie - NRBQ
Still in School - NRBQ
My Wife Thinks You're Dead - Junior Brown

You have to laugh at the titles, and the song lyrics don't disappoint either. I even ran into some Sleepy LaBeef this Fall, remember him? My favorite - Blood on the Saddle by Tex Ritter. This came across the stream a couple of weeks ago and I had to laugh. It's the song used in Disney's Country Bear Jamboree and sung by "Big Al." Ah, memories of being a kid sitting next to my father as he laughs hysterically at the animatronic show. :)