Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reading over the break

While PMAC is closed for holiday break, I've been doing some catching up on my reading. As you can see in my Shelfari bookshelf (in my sidebar), I've been working on Alex Ross' "The Rest is Noise" for some time. I had actually put the book down for a bit and just picked it up again last week. I chose to start from the beginning again, and this time I've been following up my reading with listening to the audio examples Ross has provided on his website www.therestisnoise.com. I am familiar with much of the music from my years at Peabody and the University of Chicago (and Boston Conservatory, though I didn't listen so much as practice and compose constantly in those days), as well as through my own personal listening and concert-going, but it has been refreshing to go back and skip around from piece to piece, following Ross' perspective. I highly recommend this book for any music lover, especially those who don't "get" the music of the 20th century ("classical" concert music, not pop or jazz). The audio guide at the website makes the read that much better. It is amazing to put new technology to good educational use. The many publishers and labels that gave permission for the posting of excerpts should be commended, and hopefully they will see an increase in interest for this amazing music.

No comments: