Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Portsmouth Men's Chorus at the Music Hall

Last night I attended the Portsmouth Men's Chorus' fifth anniversary concert at the Music Hall. It was a joyous occasion for the group, and they deserve credit for reaching the five-year mark, an important milestone for any organization.

Founder Terrie Harman, who is also the chorus’ accompanist, welcomed the audience and introduced us to Karl Compton, the man who inspired her to form the chorus. Melinda Kimball, the chorus’ first conductor, was on hand as well, performing on clarinet with the chorus for the opening piece, “How Can I Keep From Singing.” She was one of many instrumentalists enlisted to perform with the chorus by director Daryl Robertson. Others included bassist Sharon Demeritt (who I’ve performed with on occasion for more than twenty years and was the bassist on my first studio recording in 1985!), drummer Ken Clark (who played percussion along with Daryl Robertson for the premiere of my choral work “Celebrations and Remembrance” in 2000), oboist Laura Lammi, and a few young instrumentalists most likely recruited from the talented ranks at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, where Daryl Robertson is the music teacher.

The program was an eclectic mix of favorites from the Chorus’ first five seasons, with two new works added to the mix. The first of the new works was composed by PMAC faculty member Catherine York Knowlton, a setting of former Portsmouth Poet Laureate John Perrault’s “Ripples First.” Commissioned by Terrie Harman and Tom McCarron, the chorus approached the piece with the serious air every premiere deserves. I applaud the group for commissioning a local composer, all too rare an occurrence with community music ensembles. I believe all community music groups should try to commission a new work by a local composer each and every season. This premiere was a success and I would like to hear others in the future.

In addition to Catherine’s piece, my other favorite on the program was excerpts from Randall Thompson’s “The Testament of Freedom”. My wife, Katie, preferred “The Beatles Review” commenting that we do not own enough Beatles albums in our CD collection. I also had fun trying to sing along to selections from “The Sound of Music,” though I found the range to be too high for my limited bass. And there was much laughter from the audience (which was encouraged) during the second premiere of the evening, an arrangement by Daryl Robertson titled "Five Years in About Five Minutes" that chronicled many favorites of the group's first five years in a jam-packed medley.

I came away from the evening with an appreciation for mission of the Portsmouth Men’s Chorus (“to foster community spirit through singing.”) The chorus numbered approximately 35 for this performance, though there were a few regulars regrettably unable to perform at this event. It is the perfect opportunity for men in the community who find joy in singing. I can think of at least three singers I’ll see this week that I’m going to encourage to join. And maybe that is the best message I can convey with this posting. Men of the seacoast, if you sing, join the Portsmouth Men’s Chorus. (No audition is required!) It is an opportunity well worth your time and I can tell you that they have fun with their repertoire. And it is one of the few opportunities you may have to sing from the bottom of your heart to an audience of hundreds at the historic Music Hall. Bravo!

No comments: